A couple of months ago one of my colleagues (who was from ATLANTA and had blonde hair, and had come as a part of the onsite team to India) said - " Can I ask you a silly question?".
I said, ya, nothing new (in a lighter tone and thankfully he did not understand the sarcasm).
He said " Is it true you have animals wandering on the streets in your country?".
I said sarcastically, "Yes, we have 6 lane roads built for them only. There are no humans on the roads. Who told you this?".
I could sense he was a bit uneasy having asked such a question. To pacify and soothe him, I said – “see, people keep on saying things like that since the time "Slum dog millionaire" has been released. Don't take them too seriously. And you can always come to me to check the validity of what you have heard”
.
I agree we have cows on the streets sometimes but then cow is not an animal for 80% of the Indians. She is mother cow. We worship her. How can we ask her to step out of the road? (evil grin :P)
Jokes apart, a lot of people in this part of world need a training on Inter cultural skills. They have to understand that people are different, cultures are different. There are certain things which will never change, no matter how developed we will be.
Someone said "you have SIM cards cheaper than rice". I mean so what? Doesn't this shows our technological advancement in field of telecommunication. Name even a single country in this whole world which is at par with the kind of infrastructure and cost effective facilities we have when it comes to telecommunication.
Somebody else said "you have car loans cheaper than educational loans". So, isn't it self-explanatory? Haven't you studied demand and supply theory in economics? Higher the demand, costlier and lesser is the supply. We are a nation of 125 crores (I don't like using millions or billions, I like it in Indianised way) with above 50 percent of them between age of 1-40. No wonder if education is costly.
If you use common sense, there are valid reasons for things.
As one of my friend says, the time is not far when in 10 years 70 percent of world will be brown. I agree to that and I guess so do you.
No comments:
Post a Comment